A MUM who told how her son was expelled from school at the age of FOUR has revealed he has finally found a new class – but he can't write his name.
Laura Jordan, 36, said her son Zac, now five, was kicked out of Holly Hill Church School, in Rubery, Worcs., last October.
He was shown the door for his "bad behaviour" after attacking other pupils and staff – but his mum insists he had undiagnosed special educational needs.
The 36-year-old told Worcestershire County Council she didn't want him to attend another mainstream school.
But Zac hasn't stepped foot in a classroom in almost a year, as local authorities are not required to get kids back into school if they are expelled before their fifth birthday.
Laura accused the council of "breaking the law" for failing to find Zac a place at a special needs school and leaving him stuck at home.
READ MORE UK NEWS
Woman gets mysterious letter in code – and stamp could unlock the puzzle
Hen do favourite plastic willy shortage after droop in global supply chain
The five-year-old has now finally been offered a place at a new autism unit at Chaddesley Corbett school in Kidderminster.
But his mum fears he is now worryingly behind his peers educationally and socially due to missing out on nearly a year of school.
She says the youngster is still struggling to read and write, as well as missing other notable milestones like scribbling his name down.
Frustrated Laura told the Mirror: "The council have now offered Zac a school place and we will start the slow process of reintegration after the next half term, with an aim to start full time in September.
Most read in The Sun
Inspirational Deborah James awarded Damehood after raising millions for charity
The Sun calls for inspirational Deborah James to be made a Dame
Becky Vardy breaks down in tears at lawyer's jibe – after 'Davy Jones' blunder
Gogglebox star jailed for sexually assaulting boy who he trapped on a sofa
"September is a long time away. He’s fallen behind. He can’t read or write at the moment.
"He should know how to write his name and he should be starting to read. His name is only three letters and he can’t write that. It’s sad.
"It’s affecting his development massively.
"Socially he’s not where he should be at. He’s going to find it harder to socialise with children now."
She previously told how while her son used to be "happy outside the house" he now "doesn't want to leave because he's not mixing with other kids".
The mum-of-two believes Zac has autism, ADHD and speech and language problems, which make certain situations "overwhelming" for him.
And after months of anxiously waiting for the council to get him back into the classroom, she claims they managed to miss the deadline.
The 36-year-old said it would have left her with no choice but to enroll Zac in a mainstream school, leaving her terrified he will be excluded again and again.
Local authorities are responsible for arranging full-time education for excluded pupils once they reach compulsory school age.
Laura explained: "The law states that the term after their fifth birthday they should be in education.
"Zac turned five in February so on April 26 he should’ve been back in school as that’s when the kids went back after Easter.
He should know how to write his name and he should be starting to read. His name is only three letters and he can’t write that. It’s sad.
"It’s so frustrating. They have had since October to sort this out. Worcestershire County Council has broken the law now.
"If as a parent I didn’t send my son to school when they turned five I would be taken to court – or they would want to know why he wasn’t in school."
She wants parents to not have to face a "postcode lottery" of different council policies for special educational needs.
And the mum has called for the UK's compulsory school age to be lowered to four-years-old in a bid to stop similar situations to Zac's.
Worcestershire councillor Marcus Hart, cabinet member for education, apologised to Laura for missing the April deadline.
He said: "We are sorry that Zac has yet to start his new school this term and we acknowledge this delay brings continued frustration to both Zac and their family.
"Our SEN (special educational needs) service are communicating directly with Ms Jordan to confirm interim support for Zac, a school placement that is right to meet his needs and the start date for this."
A Department for Education spokesperson previously said suspensions and permanent exclusions should only be used "as a last resort."
But they backed headteachers' decisions to suspend or exclude pupils "where it is necessary and helps maintain calm classrooms".
Read More on The Sun
I worked at Yankee Candle – many don’t know our ‘jar for jar’ policy
McDonald’s brings back £2 wrap deal, salads & McCafé iced drinks
They added: "We are consulting on changes to behaviour and exclusions guidance to make sure this is used in a fair way, and the cross-government SEND Review will further consult on how children with special educational needs and disabilities are supported by the system, including in alternative provision."
Worcestershire County Council has been approached for comment.
Source: Read Full Article