Prince Philip, 99, prepares to spend his fourth weekend in hospital amid Royal racism crisis – as the Queen and Prince Charles rally behind William after he spoke out to deny Meghan’s claims
- Queen’s husband underwent heart surgery after being admitted on February 16
- Was transferred back to the private King Edward VII Hospital for recuperation
- Queen and Charles backed William who insisted royals were ‘not a racist family’
Prince Philip is preparing to spend his 25th night in hospital.
The Queen’s husband of 73 years – whose 100th birthday is on June 10 – underwent heart surgery last week after being initially admitted on February 16 as a ‘precautionary’ measure when he felt unwell.
He was operated on at St Barts but has since been transferred back to the private King Edward VII Hospital in London for further recuperation.
Police officers stand outside King Edward VII’s Hospital, where Prince Philip is recuperating
The Duke of Edinburgh , 99, remains at London ‘s private King Edward VII’s Hospital, where he was moved back to on Friday after a procedure on a pre-existing heart condition at St Bartholomew’s Hospital in the City of London on Wednesday (pictured: Philip in July 2020)
The Duke was treated for an infection before being moved to St Bartholomew’s – Britain’s leading heart hospital – on March 1.
Buckingham Palace has said it will not be giving a ‘running commentary’ on his condition.
The last update on the duke’s condition came from Buckingham Palace when he was transferred back to King Edward VII’s on Friday last week.
In 2011 he had a stent fitted after suffering chest pains but no details have been given of his latest surgery.
This comes after the Queen and Prince Charles backed Prince William last night after he insisted the royals were ‘very much not a racist family’.
William yesterday became the first senior Windsor to address directly the string of allegations made by Harry and Meghan in their explosive Oprah Winfrey interview.
He also confirmed the depth of the rift between him and his brother.
William admitted he had not even spoken to Harry about the TV show – four days after it aired. His reaction laid bare his clear hurt over the claims made by his brother and sister-in-law.
The prince’s comments were praised by insiders, who said the 38-year-old did ‘very well given the emotion and enormity of it all’.
Last night, royal insiders claimed that although William and Harry have not spoken in months, the elder brother is prepared to stand ‘shoulder to shoulder’ with the Duke of Sussex at the unveiling of a statue of their late mother.
Terse: William yesterday answered questions called out by Sky reporter on London school visit with Kate and an unnamed woman on whether the Royal Family was racist. ‘We’re very much NOT a racist family,’ William replied to the question
The last update on the duke’s condition came from Buckingham Palace when he was transferred back to King Edward VII’s Hospital (pictured) on Friday last week
Sources told the Mirror ‘both camps are prepared to come together’ and put on a ‘united front’ when the tribute to Diana, Princess of Wales is installed at Kensington Palace on July 1.
The source added: ‘Tensions are undoubtedly running high but they both realise it is important to put any differences aside for the ceremony at least.
‘There is definitely a feeling that both camps are prepared to come together and put on a united front for such a special occasion.’
Buckingham Palace and Clarence House, the official homes of the Queen and the Prince of Wales, were both said to be supportive of William’s solo intervention on Thursday.
The prince was speaking as he and his wife Kate visited a school in east London to support a youth mental health support service.
Aides had initially insisted the couple would not answer questions about the interview because it would ‘not be appropriate’ in a school setting.
This is not unusual on official engagements because royals like to keep the focus on the issue and the individuals they are supporting. But it is understood the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were also determined not to amend their programme to avoid the subject.
When Sky News reporter Inzamam Rashid shouted out two questions on their departure William did not blink. ‘Sir, have you spoken to your brother since the interview?’ he asked.
The prince replied tersely: ‘I haven’t spoken to him yet, but I will do.’
The Queen and Prince Charles (pictured together in 2019) have backed Prince William after he spoke out to insist the Royal Family are ‘very much not a racist family’ as the fallout from Harry and Meghan’s bombshell interview continues to grow
As William and Kate walked on, the reporter persisted: ‘Can you just let me know, is the Royal Family a racist family?’
William turned so his voice could be heard and said, clearly and firmly, despite his mask: ‘We’re very much not a racist family.’
The frustration in his voice, and on his face, was clear. Kensington Palace declined to comment, saying the duke had said all he wished to say.
But sources confirmed that the questions were entirely spontaneous and the prince – although expecting a reporter might try to ask him something – had no idea what that might be.
His firm rebuttal came after Buckingham Palace issued a statement on Tuesday on behalf of the Queen expressing the family’s sadness at learning the ‘full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan’.
The statement said the issues they raised, particularly that of race, were very ‘concerning’.
Source: Read Full Article